What is Pre- & Post-Natal Pilates?
To say that our bodies change during pregnancy is an understatement! But wow do they change:
- The amount of blood our hearts pump increases by 1 litre per minute.
- Our blood volume increases by 1.5 litres.
- Our heart rate increases by anywhere between 16 and 20 beats per minute.
- We see a sizeable rise in our total body water levels – just think about the numbers of expectant parents who complain about their cankles!
- Our breathing changes, partly because our diaphragm raises by 4cm and the chest widens by 2cm.
- We have a sizeable change in hormones that impact on everything from our muscles to our joints.
- Our gastrointestinal system changes hence we might be prone to reflux and constipation.
- With decreases in smooth muscle activity in our bladder, kidneys increasing in size and the pressure of a growing uterus, it also isn’t surprising when we are constantly needing to go for a wee!
So how does Pilates help during pregnancy?
Whilst it is tempting to sit back and go with the flow, for uncomplicated pregnancies, exercises to strengthen your body is a great way to cope with the changes your body faces as well as preparing for the birth.
The benefits of Pilates are many and includes a reduction in the risk of:
- Insomnia, stress, anxiety & depression,
- Pre-eclampsia & Pre-term labour,
- Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM),
- Caesarian / instrument assisted deliveries,
- Pelvic girdle pain & Lower back pain,
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis & Incontinence.
So how does Pilates help after pregnancy?
With huge changes going on in your body (and life once the baby has arrived) it is not surprising that you will need to take a moment to catch up. The great thing about Pilates post birth is that whilst it is a great social activity to show of your pride and joy it can help with the following:
- Incontinence & restoring your pelvic floor,
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis,
- Maintaining bone density & promoting positive mental health,
- Assisting with muscle tone & strengthening so that you can meet the challenges of having a baby in your life,
- Promotes recovery & creates a baby friendly space for you and your baby.
Super excited and can’t wait? Then feel free to click on the link and book yourself in for a chat!
What people thought of the class
Highly recommend Joanna!
Highly recommend Joanna! She is very friendly and welcoming and really makes you feel relaxed. After a couple of sessions, I have already noticed a difference with my knee and have a good plan going forward to get back into running
Emily, Nov 2020
Improvement in my body strength
Have been going to the sessions for a few weeks now and have enjoyed every session! I have definitely seen an improvement in my body strength and it has done wonders for the pain I get in my shoulders! Not to mention she’s lovely and always keeps it fun and interesting.
Maddy, Oct 2020
Exercises are suited to individuals
I have been doing classes with Jo for several years now and she is absolutely excellent! She makes sure that the exercises are suited to individuals’ abilities and she takes great care to explain what we are doing and what we should be feeling and how it should help. Jo really knows her business and is so committed to her clients’ welfare and wellbeing. I would highly recommend going to Jo to get some advice and perhaps doing a class.
Sue, Sept 2020